Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Growing Up in Post-quake Christchurch

Little Sister is building houses with blocks.



LS: this is my house.  It's really, really big.  It's got a roof and big, strong walls.  It won't fall down.  You haven't got a house.  It fell down.
Me: Why did my house fall down?
LS: The diggers pulled it down.  It was too broken when the earthquake happened.  It went wobble, wobble, crack, fall.  Then the diggers pulled the rest down.  But it's ok, they will build you a new one.
Me: That's good, I'd be sad if I didn't have a house to live in.
LS: Well they'll only build it if you stay.  You can't go and live in another place if you want them to build you a new house.  You have to stay here and wait for your house.
Me: That's ok, I don't want to go anywhere else.
LS: That's ok then, they'll build you a house and they'll make it strong.  But it won't be as big as mine.  Mine was strong anyway.
<dog knocks LS's house over>
LS: (cries, then...) that doesn't count.  It was only a dog quake.  And it was only a block house not my real house.


No comments:

Post a Comment